Monday, June 11, 2012

Mosefund speck di coppa/nackenspeck

Well, I found yet another way to turn something into speck.  In this case coppa/neck.  Going through all my literature, I came across this.  It is officially listed as nackenspeck in the South Tyrol and speck di coppa as it's secondary name.  Always up for something new(especially from South Tyrol) and an extra coppa lying around, it was a no brainer.  Aside from typical spices used for speck, this was no different than every other coppa I've cured.  You can look back at my other speck posts to see about the spicing.  Smoking was the same protocol as in previous speck projects.  I've been using beech wood dust exclusively to cold smoke all my speck recently.  One thing of note I failed to mention was pressing during curing.  The speck di coppa/nackenspeck I've seen from South Tyrol have been pressed and uncased.  Seeing as I don't care for uncased whole muscles that are skinless and/or unprotected by a thick fat layer, casing it was automatic.  Cured 3 weeks, rinsed, cased, smoked 5 days, hung to dry.  Roughly 8-10 weeks later(I can't recall exactly and I didn't write it down), 33% weight loss and it got cut down.  That's exactly what you're looking at.  That dark edge around the circumference of the coppa has given me cause for concern in the past, as it appears to be case hardening.  However, pictures I've seen of almost all speck varieties from South Tyrol have this.  Since it's not dry, it can logically be described as a smoke ring.  This thing is great, think luscious coppa meets smoky, delicious speck.

5 comments:

  1. Looks lovely, and I concur that the dark outside surface and ring comes from smoking. Traditional slow-cured, smoked country hams are the same color outside. I only wish I could taste it as well as see it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Larbo!! The next one I'll make I'll set aside a piece for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In a couple of posts, you mention your salume literature in German and Italian (presumably from South Tyrol). Would it be possible to post a list of some recommended titles, preferably with comments? German is more useful to me, but I'm sure others would want Italian.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful blog!! I am really surprised by this blog. Post is very informative, You explained very well. Thanks for all the information. Fresh Prime beef cuts provider, PA
    Deer Meat cuts in Pennsylvania

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dad was diagnosed with early onset Parkinson's disease at 57.his symptoms were shuffling of feet,slurred speech, low volume speech, degradation of hand writing, horrible driving skills, right arm held at 45 degree angle, but now he finally free from the disease with the help of total cure from ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC, he now walks properly and all symptoms has reversed, he had trouble with balance especially at night, getting into the shower and exiting it is difficult,getting into bed is also another thing he finds impossible.we had to find a better solution for his condition which has really helped him a lot,the biggest helped we had was ultimate life clinic they walked us through the proper steps,am highly recommended this www.ultimatelifeclinic.com to anyone who needs help.

    ReplyDelete