Friday, October 16, 2009

N'duja neurosis


Yep, time to give N'duja another go. Again, I went pretty straightforward. I had enough trouble last time with plain old meat and fat, never mind throwing in offal. Well, Larbo beat me to the punch this time, using ingredients I planned on using. http://www.thislittlepiggy.us/2009/10/02/the-red-nutella/ (Please someone tell me how to make those nice little links, instead of these bush league links I keep posting.)
So, I ground up some pork shoulder along with some backfat through the course die. Then back through the fine die. One thing I have to mention, and I have to give credit where credit is due. I saw Chris Cosentino on "Chefs vs. City," making fresh sausage. He advocated the use of thin "strips" of the raw meat, as it will sort of thread through the grinder. I figured if a guy who pays his rent with salame does it that way, I have to at least give it a shot. I'll be god damned, worked wonderfully. For the strips that weren't overly frozen, I didn't even need the plunger. Once they grabbed in the grinder, they got dragged right through.............perfect.
N'Duja
1658 grams pork shoulder
414 grams backfat
62 grams kosher salt(3%)
5.2 grams cure #2(.25%)
4 grams dextrose
310 grams hot pepper paste
207 grams Calabrian dried hot chili powder
Not one to leave well enough alone, I had to do something different than Larbo, otherwise it would have been the exact same salame. I went above and beyond his big chili numbers. The 25% number is good benchmark for N'duja from what I've read. I went with 15% of the Calabrian hot pepper paste and 10% of the Calabrian dried chili powder. While measuring out the powder, I really did think it was overkill, but, whatever, that was my first instinct, so, 10% it was. I mixed it in the mixing bowl of the kitchen aid, it was little full, so some got spit out. A little aside regarding the paste, that shit stains, and stains everything....skin, counter tops, utensils, etc. I took out a little piece to saute up. No sooner did that thing hit the pan and I was coughing my ass off. I was a little apprehensive to taste it. But, my fears were allayed when I bit into it. Don't get me wrong, it's friggin hot, but delicious. I'll take better pictures once it's been fermented, which I'm thinking on the order of 3 days.

5 comments:

  1. Way to turn up the heat, Scott! It's been a couple weeks since I fermented my last batch of nduja. Can't wait to cut into it and see if a little more hot pepper is what's called for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great site! Two questions... Did you use beef middles or x-large hog casing? (They look natural and not collagen from the pix) Only asking as I JUST can't get past that smell of the Beef middles!

    Secondly, do you have a good source for the Calabrian chile powder?

    Thank you

    -Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  3. Used beef middles for the first time. They had no noticeable aroma. They are not quite as durable as collagen, as I found out the hard way, breaking the casing several times. As far as a source for the powder, I use a little Italian importer in Brooklyn, as was discussed in a blog post you can find here:

    http://www.thislittlepiggy.us/2009/10/01/a-tale-of-two-boxes/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scott, how's this batch of 'nduja doing? Am curious to know how long (if at all) you're hanging it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's been hanging for 9 days. Seems to be stiffening up some, yet still feels soft enough to spread. I have a small, extra piece I may pull and try at 2 weeks. I initially wated to smoke it, but, I think I'll just hang this for awhile. Still not sure how long.

    ReplyDelete