Saturday, August 22, 2009

Coppa and speck belly

I suppose the Big Green Egg does perform as advertised. I was able to cold smoke this belly over the course of 3 days. It wasn't traditional cold smoke, mind you. I was only able to hold it at 100 degrees +/- 5 degrees. So, I smoked it for 4 hours a day for 3 consecutive days. The results of which can be seen in the picture. I used apple wood, also threw in some juniper berries wrapped in aluminum foil. The addition of the juniper berries really created some super fragrant smoke. I was pleasantly surprised how well it worked. I cut off a piece of the outside as you may have noticed, just to have a gander at how it worked and looked. Looks good, I think. Smells great as well. Off to the curing chamber for a couple months. I don't think I'm going

to wait the 22 weeks to have at this.

On to the coppa. For whatever reason, I forgot this thing was in to cure. So, I only left myself 24 hours to ferment and spray it. Regardless, a 10 day cure and it felt plenty cured. Stuffed it into a 100mm collagen casing. Sprayed with the obligatory M-EK-4 spray(which, I've seen has been renamed 600 mold or salami mould or some other nonsense) and set to ferment for 24 hours. I'm excited for this one as it is my first whole muscle coppa, and it looks very nice. FYI, you can see my tesa hanging right next to it.








3 comments:

  1. do you recommend using an automated stuff( one that uses an auger to push the meat throught) or a hand crank style, i tried casing some salami today with the automated style and it seemed like all it did was smear the fat and meat together, even though i kept the mix very cold.. i hope i didnt ruin my first batch.
    -scott

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no experience with anything but my KA food attachment stuffer(terrible) and my Grizzly 5lb. hand crank stuffer. If kept cold, I have had no smearing with the Grizzly. Inexpensive as well at $69.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the advice, looks like i will be ordering a grizzly
    -scott
    check out the blog we will be posting some charcuterie pics soon.
    foursquaredurham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete