Friday, January 7, 2011

Salame Toscano


This is the second salame made with the remnants of cutting a speck from the leg. I only call this Salame Toscano because I used fennel pollen from Tuscany in it. I hadn't yet used fennel pollen in a salame and was eager to do so. This was my second salame made after my austerity pledge. So, all that went into this was salt, black, pepper, fennel pollen, cure #2, dextrose and F-LC starter. That's it, plain and simple. In my zealousness to use said fennel pollen, I may have gone just a bit overboard. It's a little strong of fennel. However, being a fennelphile, I'm delighted with it. If you're looking for subtlety, this formula isn't for you, more like a fennel freight train. Ha! It's really not as bad as I wrote, but, it sounds better that way. In all seriousness, there is a touch too much fennel pollen. Everything else was done status quo. Run twice through 1/2" plate of commercial grinder, mixed with pork backfat that I ground up while it was frozen solid(thank god for commercial grinders). Stuffed in beef middles, sprayed with mold solution and fermented at 70 degrees for about 72 hours. Hung in my overcrowded chamber at 52 degrees at about 77% humidity. These took about 5 weeks to really stiffen nicely. Next up, hoping my mangalitsa Salame di Felino, 'Nduja, lardo and guanciale are ready.

8 comments:

  1. Fennel seems to survive as a flavour note so well no matter how little you use! Sounds great, I like the austerity theme :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. John, I agree. However, it was a forgone conclusion when my hand was THAT heavy. Still, I enjoy the taste of it, may not be for everyone, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How much fennel pollen did you use? I want to use the stuff you sent me, but i don't want to overpower it like you did...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used .75%, but, I always start high and work down. I use .75% fennel seeds as well, was looking for comparison

    ReplyDelete
  5. so what % do you suggest? Were you 50% too high, 25% too high? 90% too high?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will go with .5% my next effort

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have just begun to find out about fennel pollen, and I am very excited about it. How does it compare with fennel seed in charcuterie making?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eliza, it is a bit more subtle, yet more floral. I sell the cheapest fennel pollen you'll find:
    http://www.sausagedebauchery.com/products/?category_keyword=Herbs/Spices

    ReplyDelete